About this Blog

This Blog is for friends and family to receive updates on my adventure in Afghanistan. I'll try to update it on a regular basis, post pictures, and tell you a little bit about my experiences (both the good and the bad)!

Thanks for stopping by. Oh, and BEAT ARMY.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

28 October

The Army Information Technology folks have decided that this Blogspot website constitutes a threat to National Security.  I did find a work around hope I don't get charged with espionage!

I finally got sick of waiting for my PT gear to arrive and started working out anyway.  I just end up filling up my laundry bags with work clothes faster!  There's a paved road all the way around the airfield and the loop is about 3.5 miles.  My goal is to work up to doing one of those a day in under 35 minutes.  I'm starting with every other day keeping my heart rate under 145.  That means alternating between a very slow jog and quick walk. It's gonna take a while by my reckoning.

The food is damned good.  That's a problem.  I figure if I'm good six days a week and go to town one day a week, I'll be doing well.

It's easy to work around 12 hours a day.  Right now, I'm learning my tools and doing some simple projects.  As time goes on, and I prove my value, I'll be doing more important and more complex work.

I'm working with some very smart and dedicated people.  They're all friendly and have a great sense of humor.  That makes it really nice.

The weather is still pretty good.  I can feel it starting to cool off.  It's been low 70s during the day and mid 50s at night.  Great for sleeping.

It's amazing how many local nationals work here on the base.  They handle a lot of the cleaning, maintenance and construction.  They're friendly and definitely appreciate having the work.  There are service members from every service.  My direct 'boss' is a Marine LCOL who's taken on my fitness as a special project of his!

No comments:

Post a Comment