About this Blog

This Blog is for friends and family to receive updates on my adventure in Afghanistan. I'll try to update it on a regular basis, post pictures, and tell you a little bit about my experiences (both the good and the bad)!

Thanks for stopping by. Oh, and BEAT ARMY.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

15 October

Well, it's my last night before going "over there".  My bags are packed, I'm ready to go...,

Had a terrific evening though.  Eric Vanhove, a company mate from USNA and I caught a Washington Capitals hockey game.  Home team one, had a good Chinese dinner, and got to catch up with Eric whom I hadn't seen since graduation in '82!  Thanks Eric for a great night.

This week has been good.  Last minute "new hire" things at Leonie's offices needed to get done, I got to learn more about the technical aspects of my job, talking to people at the government site.  The hotel accommodations were fantastic... hope they have a Sleep Number bed in Afghanistan?!

I'm ready to go.  Looking forward to doing a good job over there and getting over the pain of settling in.  The flight will be 12 hours from Washington, Dulles with an overnight in Dubai and a flight into Afghanistan the next morning.  I'll be spending a week or maybe two at my unit's division headquarters at Bagram airbase, northwest and a fairly short helo ride from my eventual home away from home.

To all of my family, friends and followers, don't worry about the safety issues.  The big bases, like the one I'll be at, are well protected, are not in danger of attacks and safeguards are in place to keep us out of danger in case they get indications of enemy activity.  I'm not worried about that issue.

I'll update this in a few days. Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment