About this Blog

This Blog is for friends and family to receive updates on my adventure in Afghanistan. I'll try to update it on a regular basis, post pictures, and tell you a little bit about my experiences (both the good and the bad)!

Thanks for stopping by. Oh, and BEAT ARMY.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

February

Forgive me folks, for I have sinned, it's been over 2 months since my last confessional/update.

I'm really settled into a routine here--keeping much more reasonable hours than when I started out, but it's sustainable (no global warming pun intended).

The work is going well.  With all the data we've successfully collected, I have plenty to analyze so I'm a happy geek.  In so far as IEDs, I'd be much happier with the ability to do some sort of predictions off the historic data I report on.  No trends = no predictions.

My favorite excel spreadsheet is a dashboard that computes multiple metrics for how long  I have until the end of this deployment.  Got pie charts, bar charts, countdown timers, you name it!  231 days or 63% left to go...,

I debated back and forth about taking leave.  Hearing horror stories of folks getting stuck on the way home and back--having to sleep in transient tents, dragging my protective armor, losing pay plus ups, have all contributed to my current decision to not take leave and just stick it out until I can really enjoy a vacation once I get home.  Chris is in high gear campaign mode and can't afford time off either.  I guess emotions are losing out to common sense.

The weather continues to be surprising mild, we've had a little bit of rain but really don't even need a coat.  I'll have to start sending home my winter gear real soon.

We have sidewalks now on a large percentage of the routes I take to work, the gym, food, and the PX.  Never thought I'd appreciate concrete but walking on the golf ball sized rocks was getting old.  No mortar or rocket attacks since Christmas is also something to be appreciative of... thank you Taliban.

I've been watching some of the Olympics.  Curling is awesome--especially the Russian women's team hubba bubba!  There's a Marine Staff Sergeant who sits nearby who commented that "deployment goggles are worse than beer goggles".  That's a stretch since Army BDUs are not very flattering for the women..

It's always great to get email and I'm able to call Chris and the boys fairly frequently.  Greg's ship is getting ready for a yard period and he's been busy and having fun.  Matt's working hard in school and enjoying managing the house in Tempe. He's becoming a lean mean, Sun Devil machine too.  I'm so proud of them

Hope everyone is well!  You can easily email me at Bob.Rubin@gmail.com.

--
Bob Rubin
BobRubin@san.rr.com

Bob Rubin, ORSA
CSE JTF Paladin
FOB Fenty, Jalalabad
APO, AE 09310

No comments:

Post a Comment