About this Blog

This Blog is for friends and family to receive updates on my adventure in Afghanistan. I'll try to update it on a regular basis, post pictures, and tell you a little bit about my experiences (both the good and the bad)!

Thanks for stopping by. Oh, and BEAT ARMY.

Thursday, November 12, 2009

12 November

Everything here is good, I'm definitely getting settled in. Pretty much like living at an airfield surrounded by a construction yard.  My room/hut is small but comfortable, the food is good, gym is adequate (been working out a lot).
 
My job's pretty normal.  I have a workspace inside of the intelligence fusion center and get to see anything and everything.  Amazing mix of soldiers, some sailors, marines, special forces, "other" agencies, FBI.
 
The base has all kinds of aircraft except for fighter/bomber tactical types.  Lots of UAV activities.
 
Surprisingly, I'm keeping "normal" hours.  Get up at around 5, work until 4:30 or so.  In bed by 9.  Workout mostly between 6 and 7 at night.
 
Internet access is good but it's restricted to what the Army feels isn't offensive, or a bandwidth hog.  Totally understandable it is owned by the government.  I do get all my email and that makes it a lot easier to be away like this.
 
There's an MWR 'tent' (military welfare and rec) with a pool table.  I played the other night, lifted weights with a couple of the guys and had a cigar, shower, went to bed, read my book.  Very cool.  Very normal.
 
I'm definitely losing weight.  Probably down about 10 pounds since leaving but I know I had to tighten my belt two notches.
 
I had a good meeting with the Brigade Commander.  He's a Colonel, a little younger than me.  He chided me on receiving a "second rate" education being that he has an Operations Research degree from the Colorado School of Mines vice mine being from the Naval Postgraduate School. There's also a lot of good natured ribbing about Navy vs. Army.  Navy beating Notre Dame for the 2nd time in 45 years gave me a few bragging rights!
 
Presently, I'm gauging population attitudes and perceptions in our Area of Operations based on a survey conducted by the Division Commander (our boss).
 
The purpose of the survey's is twofold: Serve the population but also serve our ability to protect ourselves...,
 
Now that the elections have been cancelled we are concentrating on activities that curtail the drug trade, halt the production and laying of IEDs, and supporting the populace in job creation, education, and construction.
 
I've got to say that we are doing everything humanly possible to succeed here in Afghanistan I hope that Congress and the President follows suit!

Here's the best current address I have for me:

Bob Rubin, ORSA
HHC, 4th ID, 4th BCT (S2)
FOB Fenty, Jalalabad
APO, AE 09310

No comments:

Post a Comment